leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Postby dukefan78 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi Everyone.. I am Elizabeth, I am 31 and live in Michigan. After years of wondering why my legs were so swollen, thanks to my husband I now know why. Last month Steve was looking up things online about edema, when he stumbled across a woman's personal website and she has lymphedema. Steve showed me the pictures of her legs and I couldn't believe it they were an exact match to mine!.. I decided I would print up some of the photos along with a info sheet about lymphedema and take it with me to my doctor. My doctor looked at the pictures and shook his head in comformation that yes, indeed it was lymphedema, funny thing is that in all the years I have been going and asking about the swelling he never once mentioned the word lymphedema!!.. I am taking a guess as best I can remember that this started in 2004 for me and both are my legs are now very, very, very, swollen although my right one is a lot worse.

I am still in the learning stages now, I am still feeling a little lost, but I am making headway. I just checked out a great book on lymphedema and I am finding it very insightful. I have learned more from it than from my own doctor whom I have gone to since 1997. I will soon be in the process of finding another doctor, in the mean time I have found a thearpy clinic close to where I live and hopefully soon I will get some answers as to what stage I am in and begin a course of treatmeant that will help.

I am feeling a lot of emotions right now just thinking on all the years wasted that if I had known what this was I could have done something sooner, then maybe things wouldn't be as bad.

I am just glad I have found a place I can come to where others know exactly what I am feeling and can understand and relate. I have felt so lost for a long time as to why my legs were as they are and I am glad to at least I finally know.
dukefan78

Re: New Member

Postby patoco » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:49 am

Hi Elizabeth

Super welcome to our family here :!: :)

Amazing isn't it that though the doctor knew abou lymphedema, he never mentioned it. It would be funny, if it weren't so serious. It also still amazes me that I was diagnosed in 1959, by a small town doctor. Some fifty plus years later, patients still are going through a nightmare process to get a diagnosis and to obtain treatment.

Be sure to have him give you a referral to a certified lymphedema therapist so you can be evaluated and being a management/treatment process. BTW, I'm not sure I would ask him, I would simply say this is the way it is to be.

You may also want to check out our info page:

Leg Lymphedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... lymphedema

If you have any questions - no matter how big or small - please don't hesitate for even a second to post. We check things regularly and we are all here for you and each other.

My Best to you :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Leg Lymphedema