Laser

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Laser

Postby panther73 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:45 am

Hello Everyone,

I did some research, made some calls and was able to get into UPMC to get some consultation from their doctors on my sitatuion. They suggested I try laser therapy. They explained it was very safe but couldn't gurantee it would work. Has anyone had this in the past? When I google the therapy a million items come up, of course. I was just curious if anyone has had this the past and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Panther73
panther73

Re: Laser

Postby ma1290 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:24 am

Hi there

I don't have any experience with laser therapy but I thought you might be interested in this link if you haven't seen it already. It contains a lot of information about what is known about low level laser therapy. http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite/lymphedema_laser_treatment.htm
ma1290

Postby Donda » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi fellow lymphadearers and lymphearers..okay bad pun but it is intended to show a sweet side "dearers" and learners, "hearers")
Okay- That's the result of posting late at night. I just realized it's been YEARS since I've posted and felt an obligation to let you know that my leg looks normal by most standards thanks to the laser by Raincorp. I've had it for several years and I'm in my skinny jeans which I NEVER thought I'd EVER wear again. Also-I was in a terrible accident and was in a hospital bed for 4 months and that did me a great deal of good as well..I wouldnt suggest the accident part OR the rebuilding your energy BUT just a note to say that we may consider a Break from gravity to jump start a turn around.
Lastly, I have a friend who's husband is a doctor and he has been writing a prescription for having a compounding pharmacy to create a powder/ointment for the creme...I wish I Knew for sure for which one but his research showed the creme doe NOT affect the liver at all so he is Fine to write it even for me although I havn't used it ...I will if there are ANY changes. What I wanted to share about the creme is when my friend "forgets it" if she travels, her arm feels the difference right away...This is odd to both of us but she's had the same experience several times.
I hope this helps inspire someone!! My vote is buy the laser-see if you can get insurnace to cover it show them what ONe 3 day hosoital visit wll cost if you got a comlication..I've heard of persistance win writng mailed and certified mail..showing you want a record of the rejection..it seem s that certified requets may be some internal signal for avoid lawsuit. Not sure just seels that way from my experience! Another idea is to purchase it and "rent it " to a therapist or share the cost with a friend in your area and "share" the laser.i HOPE YOU ARE ALL STAYING HEALTHY! Donda
Donda

Postby Donda » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi fellow lymphadearers and lymphearers..okay bad pun but it is intended to show a sweet side "dearers" and learners, "hearers") Sorry for the many typo's in previous post. I've tried to correct them to make it reader friendly! Eyes get tired by the end of the day!!

Okay- That's the result of posting late at night. I just realized it's been YEARS since I've posted and I felt an obligation to let you know that my leg looks normal by most standards thanks to the laser by Raincorp. I've had the laser for several years and I'm in my skinny jeans which I NEVER thought I'd EVER wear again. (Also-I was in a terrible accident and was in a hospital bed for 4 months and that did me a great deal of good as well since I was off of my leg. The leg looked better before that as a result of the laser juts passing on the option of taking a gravity break to see if it could "jump start better progress".) I wouldn't suggest the accident part OR the rebuilding your energy BUT just a note to say that we may consider a Break from gravity to jump start a turn around.
Lastly, I have a friend who's husband is a doctor and he has been writing a prescription for having a compounding pharmacy create a powder/ointment for the creme...I wish I Knew for sure for exactly which one but his research showed the creme does NOT affect the liver at all so he is Fine to write it even for me although I havn't used it ...I do plan to start it soon though based on her experience. What I wanted to share about the creme is when my friend "forgets it" if she travels, her arm feels the difference right away...This is odd to both of us but she's had the same experience several times.
I hope this helps inspire someone!! My vote is buy the laser-see if you can get insurance to cover it show them what ONE 3 day hosoital visit will cost if you had a complication..I've heard of persistance winning by writing and mailing and certified letter..showing you want a record of the rejection..it seems that a certified requet may be some internal signal for "avoid lawsuit". Not sure but it just seems that way from my experience! Another idea is to purchase it and "rent it " to a therapist or share the cost with a friend in your area and "share" the laser.I HOPE YOU ARE ALL STAYING HEALTHY! I will say for research information, that I was in another accident in April -hit from behind, and my leg had issues right away as in teh next day! I guess from the seat belt. I have not gotten "Back" to my pre accident state but hopefully the laser will do the rest of the work without more therapy! Donda
Donda

Postby evelyn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi Panther73, Pat and friends,

I finished a second round of a 5-week lymphedema therapy (Lymphedema Clinic in Woodbury, Long Island,NY) in May 2008, when I heard about the portable laser unit. Along with some of the therapists at the clinic I have gone to, we attended a presentation by Rian Corporation. The President, an assistant corporate manager and a therapist from the company in Australia convincingly presented the use of the laser. I bought the portable laser unit (LTU-904) from Bandages Plus (Florida) distributor of Rian Corp.(Australia) on June 11, 2008, for the total amount of $4,020.95. I was in haste and quite eager to pursue further maintenance of my whole right leg lymphedema (from a kidney transplant surgery). I was at first assured by my insurance that it would be covered and it was my mistake to have purchased it first before wrangling the issue of reimbursement (even partial) from Aetna. I wrote reams of prose to the Appeals Resolution Team of Aetna, even with the help of Bob Weiss (lE activist), but it was flatly rejected because, "the charges for or in connection the services or supplies as determined by Aetna, considered to be experimental or investigational are excluded from cpverage under your pan." This is in spite of the fact that the laser is FDA-approved.

I used the laser every night for one year, ever so faithfully, sometimes for hours. My husband would help me with the back portion of the leg. It was tedious because it is a heavy handheld (flashlight-like) unit that you have to hold in place for a minute at about 6 centimeters apart. After the laser therapy, I also wrapped with my short-stretch bandages. I have been informed that the laser works well with wounds. I have given it up and I'm now using a Flexitouch. I must say that the gold standard is still WRAPPING at night and compression garment during the day.

I have also tried the coumarin creme, the Daflon 500 (from France), horsechestnut and grape seed. No improvement. I will now consult a microsurgeon in M.D.Anderson for the lymphovenular anastomosis. I have read everything that Pat posted as URLs and there may be something with this.

I am also good friends with Donda (hi friend...long time no hear) and am amazed at how successful she has been with the laser. I still think the four-month (tho' unfortunate) bed-stay caused the very welcome change-to-normal of Donda's lymphedemous leg.

We will all continue to search for our "holy grail" and I hope it happens in our lifetime.

Evelyn
evelyn

Postby panther73 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 pm

The laser did not work for me. We tried it but got no results. :(
panther73

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema